Wednesday, May 2, 2012

G'day from Down Under

Croiki! It's been awhile since I've updated you guys, but you'll find when you study abroad your focus is more fixated on where you are at and life back home takes a bit of a back burner. Let me give you some highlights about my time here in Australia:
     - I've seen many kangaroos around (I attempted to chase one: failed...I attempted to grab one's tail:
        succeeded...for the win!
     - I pet a Koala
     - Saw several sharks swim above me in an Aquarium
     - bought two boomerangs
     - Got a job as a barista (Australian coffee is better than Starbucks (take that corporate coffee!)
     - Made some solid friends through a campus ministry, emcee at the ministry main events, and re name their
         guys group to Knights of Honor
   
I can talk for ages about the stories down here, but I'll keep it short to give your eyes a rest.

     Culture: Different to the U.S.- They drive on the left side, have tea time, have accents, eat Vegimite, have
                                 smaller portion sizes, no dollar menu at McDonalds (aka Maccas').
             
                 Similar: Consumerism
                                -malls, movies (Sherlock Holmes, Avengers, and anything Hollywood),shops
                                 (Payless Shoes, Target, K-mart)
                                -Individualism, Western Society, Australin Dream just like American dream

     Classes: 4 units= 8 classes (a lecture and tutorial (smaller size class, 15ish people) per unit)
                 -I can listen to lectures online (which leaves more room for activities!)

     Attractions I've been to:
                 Sydney: Opera house, Darling Harbour Bridge, Botanical Gardens, Hillsong Church
                 Canberra: War Memorial, Parliament House
                 Katoomba: Featherdale Wildlife Park, Three Sisters (at the Blue Mountains)





Till next time future Bears!

Cheers from Down Unda'

Eric



No comments:

Post a Comment